Archives of England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Free England Press (6/5/06)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
baiboe
Archivist

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2005-11-12

The Free England Press (6/5/06) Empty
PostSubject: The Free England Press (6/5/06)   The Free England Press (6/5/06) EmptyFri 5 May - 18:50

THE ENGLAND FREE PRESS
Saturday May 5th, 1454
Issue #2

Front Page

Conflict imminent between France and Brittany!

There have been continuing rumors of conflict and discord in France and now those rumors are confirmed. In a statement made by Count Nogwa Moore, he informed the people of Cornwall:

Quote :
Artois, Normandy, Flanders and Bourgogne are mustering their forces to join the Royal French Army against the county of Brittany. Not every citizen is happy about this or is even supporting this, but the Dukes are officially answering the call to arms.

County of Berry is declaring neutrality and wishes to be a mediator, and to prevent the war from happening.

Anjou has publicly declared its support of Brittany, and its readiness to join Brittany's side if there is a war.

Champagne is still neutral, and is likely to remain so.

Why would France turn on one of its own constituents? The answer lies in the fact that Brittany for a while now, has been systematically refusing to recognize the French King Levan and the Peers Of France's authority. The French Peers are a Council that make decisions on a national scale and they have had enough of this behavior and wish to quell Brittany's rebellious spirit. So it issued a general call to arms for all Duchies and Counties of France to attack Brittany. However King Levan has made no comment, either in favor or against this call.

Normandy was the first to answer the Peers as it has had border disputes with Brittany in the past and is still disgruntled by the fact that Brittany offered its support to Sussex at the time of the Dieppe raid-retributions. Apparently though this is unconfirmed, has sent a Pookhaist army (a very influential, heretical religious sect in France) to confront the Duke of Brittany, Amalric. The two aforementioned Dukes closed their borders. The conflict is generally admitted as imminent, although some are optimistic that the war may be resolved before any blood is shed.

Indeed, such a war would prove bloody, certainly seeing as both Wiltshire and Sussex have recently signed treaties with Brittany. One of the articles of that treaty concerns military engagement and reads as follows:

Quote :
3. Alliance
In case of defensive war, the alliance will have to give its support in terms of men and material so that a common military victory can be achieved.

This agreement was signed by both the Sussex and Wiltshire Counts. Therefore, it follows that both Counties will be bound to providing aid to Brittany if the conflict plays out. However, no official statement by the Council Spokespersons has been issued at the time of writing.

Two thirds of England are therefore involved directly in this conflict. The third County, Cornwall, was a subject of controversy. It was agreed in a public topic started by the Count Nogwa Moore, that the current temporary Council should probably not have the power to determine whether or not the County, and therefore the people, goes to war as it was not elected by the people and in consequence may not represent the will of the people, legally speaking. Lynet, the Council Spokeswoman issued this statement Wednesday:

Quote :
If foreign troops set foot on England. Cornwall will defend King, crown and country.

The County of Cornwall has no quarrel with the Crown of France nor any of its counties.

The Council wishes to thank the County of Flanders for some help they provided that helped us to reopen our mines quickly.

Nothing has been officially announced concerning the treaty itself which would mirror that which Wiltshire and Sussex signed.

By Captain Talwin.

News

Many New Mayors!

The last few days have seen many new mayors taking office across England and some incumbents being returned to power. The election results follow:

Sussex:
Quote :
2006-04-14 04:00:16

Madmaxhammer has been elected mayor of Canterbury.
1. Madmaxhammer : 86.9%
2. Shaitan : 13.1%

2006-04-27 03:58:12

Dantagon is leading after the first round at the local elections.
1. Dantagon : 50%
2. Louwrens : 35%
3. Hehe : 15%

2006-04-29 03:56:40

Dantagon has been elected mayor of Dover.
1. Dantagon : 64.9%
2. Louwrens : 35.1%

Wiltshire:
Quote :
2006-04-25 03:59:01

Badboyandmystick has been elected mayor of Bridgewater.
1. Badboyandmystick : 88.6%
2. Comte_de_pirey : 11.4%

2006-04-25 03:58:05
Martur has been elected mayor of Winchester
1. Martur : 84.6%
2. Minka : 15.4%

2006-04-26 03:57:36

Brunehilda has been elected mayor of Salisbury.
1. Brunehilda : 100%

Cornwall:
Quote :
2006-04-27 03:59:38

Knightflame is the mayor of Fowey.
1. Knightflame : 100%

2006-04-27 03:59:09

Malone is the mayor of Launceston.
1. Malone : 88.2%
2. Comte_casey : 11.8%

As you can see, with so many towns, it is an active political season all the time. One thing is certain, in a few weeks, they will be back in the hot seat of campaigning.

Thanks to Accueil Acilion Actualités for the returns.

by Lorudce

PostSubject: Re: The Free England Press (6/5/06)   The Free England Press (6/5/06) EmptyFri 5 May - 18:52

A solution for Sussex's treasury and trade?

One of the key issues that were discussed during the last elections for Sussex's council was the state of the county's treasury. The amount of debts accumulated has apparently reached a record high, and intercounty as well as interior trade seems to have ground to a near stand-still. The general deterioration of iron mines has slowed the flow of this metal, and demand for certain basic products has dramatically fallen. The main culprit for this economic torpor seems to be the fish. Three out of five towns of Sussex have a lake(Canterbury, Dover and Lewes), and therefore have fish-based economies. As most people seem to have direct access to fish, they don't see the point of buying any at the town market. Worse, neither do the occasional intercounty agents passing by.
The following is an excerpt from the Lewes player sell market:
fishes 21,50 27
fishes 23,50 2
fishes 22,00 10
fishes 21,65 1
fishes 21,20 2
fishes 21,00 5
fishes 20,95 1
fishes 20,75 2
fishes 20,50 1

To get trade between towns going again, Sussex Trade Minister Shaitan (EC) has created a local post: the County buying agent. This position is supposed to accelerate communication between different local markets and the County, which will have greater and quicker access to the inventory of the local markets. Trade Minister Shaitan was interviewed about this new position.

The Free Press:What is the current state of the Sussex treasury? What seems to plague it?

Trade Minister Shaitan: The treasury was inherited in nearly the same state as Wiltshire, very low. The problem is an intense lack of revenue sources, while the costs remain enormous.

TFP:What will be the role of the county buying agent in the Sussex economy?

TMS:)The county buying agent will allow he county to take cheaper goods more efficiently from the private citizens, eliminating burdens on our mayors (and also cutting their revenue a bit, we encourage them to raise taxes to combat that).

TFP:How is the new position you have created going to help promote trade and support the growth of the Sussex economy?

TMS: The main problem with exporting is that, even though we beat the foreign markets in pricing, we cannot do trade with their public sectors except in cases of severe need on their part due to protectionism. However, the private sector has no such qualms. If we can get goods as cheaply and efficiently as the position will allow once I work out the details, it will allow to completely bypass the foreign market and take more direct exportation to private citizens. It does not carry the same security as a prearranged contract, but the rewards can be enormous.

TFP:Are you optimistic about the results the county trading agents will bring to the treasury?

TMS: Extremely, although results will not be seen immediately.

The position of County buying agent have been given to:
Malachia for Lewes, Droer for Dover, Rhiannon for Arundel, Salo for Sevenoaks and Selene for Canterbury.

by Gasquest

Cornwall to crash? The economic situation has become apparent and the political scene is vibrant.

Although Cornwall got off to a bad start it seems to be pulling itself up much better than expected! Indeed, after the split from Wiltshire, Cornwall was left somewhat floundering, lacking many things.
Across the county, calls went out for level twos. In Launceston, millers and carpenters were lacking (although butchers and bakers were plentiful). In a brief interview with Malone, mayor of Launceston, he gave me an update on the current situation:
Quote :
3 carpenters and are supplying us with what we need from them. Our big problem is millers, we only have 1. We have 5 bakers being supplied by 1 miller which=Not Good. So if any millers want to come to Launceston, there’s money to be made.

The same situation was found in Plymouth for millers and for blacksmiths and millers in Dartmouth.

The mines were also a major problem, a statement issued by Leonard Washington, the Cornish Mines Superintendent said:
Quote :
Some of you may be very disappointed to know that the Gold mines are closed. I apologize for doing this. At first we left them open despite not having enough money to maintain them because LJS had not programmed them to collapse. They got to dangerous and yesterday one of the mines' walls began to crumble. I closed it down immediately so that we do not lose the mine. The mines will stay closed until the county can provide me with the resources to provide emergency maintenance on them.

So to the Iron and Stone mines, we need your help! We need as many of these resources as possible to provide maintenance to the other mines!

The faster we get the resources, the faster I can open them up, once again I apologize for the inconvenience, but I would not have innocent miners die on my watch.

The mine situation was so bad that most gold mines were closed pending repairs. This was because when Cornwall split, it was not given any stone, crucial to the upkeep of mines. The Superintendent conscientiously shut the mines to avoid any tragedies however, also cut off income for many level 0s, however it was generally agreed that this was necessary.

This left the iron and stone mines open, and needed to be filled so that maximum productivity could be achieved and the gold mines could be reopened. Thus, Lynet, the current Council spokeswoman called for people in gold mining towns to move to stone and iron mining towns, thereby avoiding job shortages in the former towns and producing more stone and iron in the latter towns:

Quote :
The county has a shortage of stone and iron which is needed for maintaining mines. We have to increase the number of people working each day in the stone and iron mine to prevent closures of the gold mines. Closing gold mines causes a major shortage of jobs in those towns. This of course is bad.

Therefore, we are requesting that some people move from towns with gold mines (Barnstaple and Plymouth) to towns with stone and iron mines (Fowey, Launceston and Dartmouth). All three towns are still colonies, so you can move there in a single day and your fields come with you.

It seemed as if the situation was sliding out of control, but Cornwall seems to have stunningly stopped the downward spiral and begin its ascent towards economic viability.

Leonard Washington, Mines Superintendent for the Cornish Temporary Council and Mayor of Dartmouth:

Quote :
Captain Talwin: What is the current mine situation?

Leonard Washington: The mines are doing much better. Unfortunately we did not start off with enough stone or iron to maintain all the mines. We are just now providing enough to do emergency maintenance on one gold mine, as the iron and stone mine are in perfect condition. One gold mine is dangerous and the other is crumbling.

Captain Talwin: How many are open?

Leonard Washington: Right now, there are 3 open, out of 4. I foresee opening another one very shortly, 1 more day and I think we shall have all of them open.

Captain Talwin: The Trade Minister says there is much iron around anyway, do you feel this is true, and is it helping to solve the mines problem?

Leonard Washington: The TM is correct in saying that we have a lot of iron. It is not iron that is preventing from the county from opening up all the mines but the fact that we don’t have much stone.

Captain Talwin: Have you found a stone contributor?

Leonard Washington: As far as I know, we have not been able to get stone from any other county. In my opinion, this is why we have had to close the mines. We weren’t able to open trade for stone immediately, and now we are paying for it.

Captain Talwin: Are you seeing an increase in stone production, what i mean is, have people answered the Council's pleas?

Leonard Washington: I will admit, Dartmouth, the town I am mayor of, is doing everything short of filling the mines to get the county stone. We continue to put more people in our mine than any other town and in some cases; we have more people in our mine than 2 other mines. The people have answered to the crisis, unfortunately, the mine output simply can not warrant the county opening another mine sooner. We must be able to get some stone from an outside source.

Captain Talwin When do you think you will be able to start opening gold mines again?

Leonard Washington: Like I said, I think I might be able to open another mine tomorrow. They will all be open no later than two days from now. This is a problem that is being dealt with by many people, I’m doing everything I can, and I hope other people are doing everything they can. The sooner we get more stone, the sooner we can open up all the mines.

Captain Talwin:Where do you think the problem with the mines originated? Do you think it could have been avoided?

Leonard Washington: As a new county, I don’t think we could have avoided this problem, it is very difficult in getting other counties to donate stone and iron. We had to work out a lot of problems and we started with a couple mines that were already dangerous despite the fact that they were all good when the same mines were in Wiltshire.

Things are looking up for Cornwall, but how long can the Council keep it up?

The political scene has seen a sudden revival. The Cornwall League, headed by Lady Vaness, now has a full list and complete funds and is composed of:
Quote :
Dame_vaness, TonyRC, Nogwa, Smithwick, Nightbliss, Malasorte, LeonardWashington, Methos, Elve, Destroyeroflight, AlexandreDuPor, Revival.

The English Coalition has done the same, with
Quote :
Anto_capone, Caesar3, Egolend, Victorious, Lynet, Dirtykiller, Urshak, Jellysnail, Malone, RavenLord, Klaus and Cassandra
on the list.

A new list, however, emerged in the past week, lead by Chrissss2. He calls it The Coalition of Freedom and Justice for the Health of the Towns at the time of writing the list is composed of:
Quote :
Chrissss2, Comte_casey, Zangi, Veracht, Balsheva, Aodrenig, Reuden, Frirac, Ka

and he has not procured the funds yet. The election will take place in 16 days.

Continue reading the Free Press for updates on the Cornwall Council elections.

By Captain Talwin.

Revolt in Dartmouth!

Dartmouth unexpectedly was under new leadership as the sun rose on Friday. The outgoing mayor LeonardWashington was thrown out of office by rebels led by a previously unknown man named LYCIUS. An investigation is currently underway, however it is suspected the rebel LYCIUS is under direction from a man named Lucius. Lucius is from the Anjou Duchy in France. Respectable citizens of Dartmouth have already planned a counter revolt to take back the new town. Nightrider, DariusFarlenz, Arynna are among the citizens coordinating the effort to bring the town to order.

by Whit

PostSubject: Re: The Free England Press (6/5/06)   The Free England Press (6/5/06) EmptyFri 5 May - 18:53

New Commander named for Nightwatch

Lord Commander Martell announced his resignation as leader of the Nightwatch and named his successor, Nightrider.

Quote :
i feel it is time to pass the torch to my second in command Nightrider.
he is very accomplished and should make a good commander
i will still play the game whenever possible but i cannot effectively run this organization any more

he will have the title of lord errant Commander and all currently enlisted members shall follow his orders

Thank you for every thing,
Lord Commander Martell

The newly appointed, Lord Commander Errant Nightrider, wasted no time and began to explain the Nightwatch and call for all members to report in.

nightrider wrote:
The Night's Watch is a part RP mercenary militia organization. We travel the roads and keep them safe from brigands, assist in counter-revolts, etc. Also, when the war system is activated, we plan on assisting the army in any way possible. We stand for the betterment of England and her allies. On the other hand, we are a supportive group. We assist and help each other grow. We also give advice and help new players get a better understanding of Renaissance Kingdoms. So in the end, you have an organization that is part militia, part support group. I hope this answers your questions.

Also, the remaining NW members, please contact me for the reorganization of the Watch. I am still waiting for a few names. I would like to know either way if you are in or out, no questions asked, no grudges held. Thanks

The English Free Press questioned Lord Commander Errant Nightrider further about the group and their goals.

Quote :
Lorudce: I have a few questions for you to use in an article I'm writing for the paper about the changing of the guard.
Nightrider: Thanks Lorudce, I am honored to share with you as much as I possibly and safely can about our group.
Congratulations on being named the Lord Commander Errant of the Nightwatch.

Lorudce: How do you feel about being named Lord Commander Errant?
Nightrider: I was overwhelmed at first. I had always held a high office in the watch, but never dreamed of becoming a Lord Commander. However, the new promotion in the Watch pleased me much more than expected. As one of the three co-founders, along with Gavin, who mysteriously died, and Martell whose multiple computer problems were a bit of a nuisance, I felt as if I could really start strong and fresh from where they left off. I am ready to accept this challenge and dot he best job I can at it.

Lorudce: Were you surprised or did you see this coming?
Nightrider: I was surprised, while at the same time expecting it. I had just as much notice as everyone else in England had, the “Passing on the Torch” thread. When I first saw this, I was shocked but at the same time relieved. For a few weeks now, Martell has been getting harder and harder to contact. This has lead to a severe decline and disorganization of the Watch. For the last week or so, I have had no contact whatsoever with Martell, and felt from his various posts that this was coming. However, I did not expect this to happen so quickly and abruptly, without any prior notice.

Lorudce: Don't break any security details, but if possibly, share with our readers how many members your militia has.
Nightrider: Right now, I am obliged, due to security reasons, to not share this information with the public. We are currently regrouping and rebuilding, so I am sill waiting for accurate figures. As soon as the final tally is confirmed, I will be more than happy to share this information.

Lorudce: Do you operate regular patrols of roads, or do you move only upon the request of travelers and/or mayors?
Nightrider: We operate random, but scarce patrols of the roads as of right now. Mainly, we act upon requests of merchants and other travelers, and escort them to the destination. As for a fee, we charge one HP of a basic food a day. For example, one days travel would = one corn bag, while two days travel would = two corn bags, or one bread. Also, it is not required but customary to give a small tip, of either a TP or a discount on an item.

Lorudce: Will you answer the call of the county if they ask for assistance in a time of war or a move against criminals?
Nightrider: Of course, we will do anything to assist England in times of great strife. Many of the Watch have already been involved in various counter-revolts, such as the one in Dartmouth not to long ago. When the war system is implemented, we plan on giving our services to the crown in any way possible.

Lorudce: Do you ever escort travelers and if so, is there a charge? If yes, is the fee the same for all people (merchants, clergy, mayors, counselors, etc.)
Nightrider: Well, same as in question 4. We act mainly upon requests of travelers, escorting them to their destination. We only charge half a days worth of food, but it is also a tradition to tip the escort(s) in TP’s or discounted items, the discount amount at the discretion of the seller.

Lorudce: Are you accepting new members at this time and if yes, what is the qualifications for joining?
Nightrider: We are always accepting new members with fresh ideas. There are no qualifications to join the Night’s Watch, only the desire to serve England in any way possible. Also, the Watch is a supportive group so you meet many people and get advice, help, and advance through the levels faster. If anyone wishes to learn more PM or ingame mail me and I will get back to you A.S.A.P.

Lorudce: In which county(ies) do you operate.
We operate mainly in Wiltshire, with some confirmed members in Cornwall. There are a few unconfirmed members in Sussex right now, but our concentration is in Wiltshire. We are based out of Chard, my hometown.

Watch for further news about the Nightwatch in future editions of The Free Press.

By Lorudce

Bridgewater to be the Renaissance Kingdoms' first Casino town?

Gambling is no new thing in our Kingdom of England. Lotteries have sprung up in many towns across the three Counties. However, nothing quite as important as Havokk of Bridgewater, Wiltshire, has ever been proposed. He and the mayor Badboyandmystick have been discussing and have recently proposed the idea of a "Casino" in Bridgewater, where bets could be made on real or "in-game" events and winnings would be collected and distributed through a bookie.
I interview Havokk on this idea:

Quote :
Good afternoon, my name is Captain Talwin, a writer for the Free Press. Could i ask you a few questions about your Casino idea:

Captain Talwin: Was the idea yours? If so, what made you think of it?

Havokk: The majority of the idea was mine, but i have based it off of Badboyandmystick's Lottery. I think it to be a good idea, profitable not only to the town but also to the people.

Captain Talwin: When do you think that it shall be put in place?

Havokk: I am not sure how soon the idea should be put in place, It still needs alot of revision and to figure exactly how the bookie system will work.

Captain Talwin: Do you see this phenomenon spreading? Would you like it to?

Havokk: If this idea makes everyone happier in the kingdoms, then i would love it to spread.

Captain Talwin: Are disturbed by the fact that gambling is not quite the "righteous" way to go, religion-wise?

Havokk: I am not sure how to answer this question, i never thought of how the church would not like gambling to be in there towns, if it spreads maybe some towns will outlaw gambling because it does not seem "goodly" for the people.

Captain Talwin: Do you expect to turn a profit from it?

Havokk: I only expect to gain profit from any bets i make myself, but i have an equal chance to lose the profits also. Mainly though, i am trying to set it up where it profits the town. That’s if it is a town based bet, if it is two people betting against each other then the town will not profit, only the winner of the two will.

Captain Talwin: How does the bookie system work, and how do you get the money to the players using game mechanics?

Havokk: The bookie system mainly works to safeguard the money between the two betters. Lets say if there was to be a random chosen number between 1 and 2. If i bet 1 and you bet 2 then we would both agree with each other and send the money to the chosen bookie. If the number 2 was chosen then the bookie would send the money to you.
I am thinking we can send the money through products on the market, even though that way is "crude", it will still get the money to the right people.

Captain Talwin: Who can participate in the games?

Havokk: I am still deciding on who all should be allowed to participate, i do not think that level 0's should be able to because they may come in and bet all there money, win, and then never play again. Also there should be a minimum amount of money the holder should keep, i do not want my gambling ideas to be the death of people who used all their money and could not even afford bread.

Captain Talwin: What games will the Casino host?

Havokk: I do not know exactly what games will be played, i am still trying to decide which will be possible in RK

Thank you for your time,

Captain Talwin, Free Press.

The Kingdom and the Church will be watching closely as this idea develops. It could be the beginning of a new era of entertainment in the Renaissance Kingdoms.

By Captain Talwin.

Weather

saturday (2006-05-06)

The Free England Press (6/5/06) Sat5nu

sunday (2006-05-07)

The Free England Press (6/5/06) Sun4pj

monday (2006-05-08 )

The Free England Press (6/5/06) Mon1wx

tuesday (2006-05-09)

The Free England Press (6/5/06) Tue6sz

By Baiboe
Back to top Go down
baiboe
Archivist

PostSubject: Re: The Free England Press (6/5/06)   The Free England Press (6/5/06) EmptyFri 5 May - 18:55

Opinion

Hate is a strange thing--the twisted twin of love, some say. Like love, hate never leaves home without its little sister: obsession.

For some reason, the three letters C-U-E seem to attract them both like a magnet. Why?

• "CUE wants to destroy England by selling it and all its resources to the French people"
  • "CUE is a bunch of dictator-type people who dream of dominating all of England and enslaving all its citizens."
  • "CUE wants to annihilate all richness in England and leave it an empty desert where all the citizens will starve and die."
  • "CUE, from the bottom of the dark pit that is its home, governs all, pilots and engineers the creation of new political parties, they order some of their members to make fake resignations so that they can infiltrate, or outright create these new parties and steal more innocent citizens votes, and strengthen their dictatorial rule over England."
  • "CUE is a group of puppeteers who pull the strings of all the guilds; at the snap of their fingers, all the guilds will bow and obey, change the prices of all the goods and ruin the whole economy of the kingdom."

Please, go ahead and pick your favorite among the trendiest I just listed above. There's more where all that came from. Personally, I'm still waiting for the one where CUE members feed upon the livers and hearts of babies and small children, but it has yet to appear--however I have every confidence we'll get there in time.

Seriously though, why?

I could start going into the group's long time influence, all thanks to the voters' trust. I could also go into the solidarity and coherence that lie at the core of CUE, or into the groups of people CUE has fought and whose ambitions CUE has contributed to thwart over time. It's true that old grudges and angers die hard. There must be some of that--people for whom past failures or defeats still rankle today. But I don't think it only comes down to that. There's likely another, very simple mechanism also at work here: identity building.

When you create something from scratch, it's hard to get visibility and public recognition. Usually you'll recruit some old, known names to help with that. Unfortunately, more often then not that won't be enough, and your contents or group core of values, such as they are, won't be enough to make a true difference--to set you apart as a credible, coherent alternative to everything that's already present in the political landscape.

In such cases, the remedy is simple: you use one of your opponents and paint them black, which will bring you two desired results: it will draw attention to your group, and put it in the spotlights, if only by contrast to the well-known opponent that's now cast in darkness and shrouded in the most perverse of evils, all thanks to your allegations. Your contents, who you are can then fade in importance, since you're not establishing yourself by defining who you are, but by defining who you are not. For this very simple tactic to be effective, you need to pick one of the strongest groups available. In this instance, CUE.

So, in this huge theater play that is the political world, we have hatred most likely based on two things: old grudges, and the need to build oneself a name--nice combination. As the saying goes, it takes two to tango, and those two are sure doing a good job on Astor Piazzolla's music.

Now, from a personal point of view, I'd say that I did expect mud-slinging, slandering, manipulation and crass hypocrisy when I joined CUE. I was joining a political party and aiming to be an active member. These less savory things unfortunately are part of politics, and so I certainly won't claim to have gone in blind or unaware. However, I must be honest and admit that I didn't realize how low level it would all be--how unsubtle, outrageously untrue, how below the belt it would be. The absurd messages where people depict themselves as the saints who'll save the kingdom from the evil of CUE, the constant "subtle" hints and attacks, completely unsubstantiated but never mind that detail--the holier-than-thou, the self-righteous speeches that spew out a thing one day and its opposite on the next without the slightest afterthought or hesitation. The more outrageous, the more incredible and absurd it is, the better.

I found myself in the middle of populist campaigns of the worst kind: those where contents no longer matter, and only slander and mud-slinging do. There is no interest in a true debate anymore, the only thing that matters is the possibility of posting inflammatory messages overflowing with hysteria and a single obsession: repeat ad libitum ad nauseum how CUE is evil and how it's all four Riders of the Apocalypse at once. Any sane or reasonable answer you might wish to make will be twisted and used against you, no matter how low it requires the other part to sink to. In itself, it's a fascinating process to observe, exhausting and nauseating to experience. These aren't harmless pranks, they're mindless demolition campaigns which go on and on, as if the groups making them still couldn't manage to build themselves a name, and find their place in the spotlight on their own. The rate of paranoia spilling from all those messages would probably be enough to poison all the citizens of England.

Sometimes I wonder: what would they do without CUE? They really should thank us for sticking around and weathering their temper tantrums and hysterical slander campaigns.

If that were all there is, it wouldn't be worth it--those groups wouldn't be worth it. But that's not all. The most important is the trust of the citizens who voted for us in towns and counties. All these people make it worth it to endure, and keep on being who we are, keep on being a voice and a presence in the kingdom--pissing off all those who would see us trampled down in the same time, but that's a bonus, nothing more.

I think, if I had to write a recruitment ad for CUE, that I'd say something along those lines: "Come, join us in CUE and feel the hate slither all over you while you give your best to help people and the kingdom."

Because that's what it has become--what those paranoid, slander loving people have made it become.

by Wyn

Religion

Father Loyats Gravely Ill

Doctors in the County Sussex has announced the Loyats, an active member of Canterbury and a father in the church, will soon pass away. While the doctors have yet to say when the good father will leave us, they warn that it is imminent.
Father Loyats has addressed the people of Canterbury, asking them not to be overly concerned for his welfare. He believes that his afterlife will be better than the one he led on earth.
While the reasons for the father’s illness are varied, they all stem from a like cause. For more information, please see the speech made by Father Loyats at the Canterbury Town Hall.
We wish the father good luck in the next life, and hope he has peace in his last days.

sources:
http://www.acilion.com/englishforum/viewtopic.php?t=10191
http://www.acilion.com/englishforum/viewtopic.php?p=140633#140633
by drrino

Court News

Pending Cases, Cornwall County

Skyp3 Is accused for hiring under the minimum wage 16 pounds.

The Charge description:
Skyp3, has committed the crime of slavery, not once, but twice.
Senseiryu and Libra have been cheated out of a fair days wage Skyp3. Skyp3 is a craftsman of the town and he is more than capable of paying his workers a decent wage.

As a proof of his crime I offer the following:
01/05 03:03 : Skyp3 hires Senseiryu for 15,00 pounds
29/04 15:43 : Skyp3 hires Libra for 15,00 pounds

Valencia is accused for hiring: under the minimum wage 16 pounds.

The Charge description:
Valencia, has committed the crime of slavery in the town of Dartmouth
Shva has been cheated out of a fair days wage by Valencia. Shva is but a poor vagabond and may not have realized that they were being paid unfairly. Justice must be done.

As a proof of her crime I offer the following:
02/05 18:44 : Valencia hires Shva for 15,00 pounds
Back to top Go down
baiboe
Archivist

PostSubject: Re: The Free England Press (6/5/06)   The Free England Press (6/5/06) EmptyFri 5 May - 18:56

Settled Cases, Cornwall County

Defendant: Macneil
Charge: Fraud
The Verdict: Guilty
The Sentence: 11 pound fine
Judge’s Statement:
As it's proven that the defendant broke the law on Profiteering by selling a meal of corn at a criminal price, the defendant is recognized GUILTY.
As it seems the defendant is aware of his fault and is no longer selling this meal, the charge will be minimized to a symbolic fine.
But as the defendant has committed a contempt of Court by not responding to the accusation, he's fined for this offense...
Classified case.

Pending Cases, Wiltshire County

Morderath is charged with commission of fraud.

The Charge Description:
The defendant is accused of selling bags of corn in the Market of Chard for $5,95. Previous to being charged, the defendant was warned by both Harekr, Lord Mayor of Chard, and Teagan, a member of the Town Militia over the weekend.

01-05-2006 08:10 : You have bought from Morderath 1 corn bag for 5,95 pounds.

The Charge Description:
Knight177 is charge of illegal buy by the town of Southampton.
Crime : Buying iron not being blacksmith.

Evidence : 2006-04-29 16:10:04 : You have sold 1 iron ore ounce for 20,00 pounds to Knight177.
Witness : The_Light

The Charge Description:
Crichaor repeated the same offense of ripping people off with empty meals at his tavern as he did at Barnstaple. He then framed Coltcommander by putting him as the bartender.

As a proof of his crime I offer you the following:
The prosecutor called Benfolds5
His statement:
A few days ago, I bought a meal at 6.50 pounds from the Coltcommander tavern, but received no food as well.

The Charge Description:
Town : Southampton
Criminal : Knight177
Crime : Buying iron not being blacksmith

Proof : 2006-04-29 16:10:04 : You have sold 1 iron ore ounce for 20,00 pounds to Knight177.
Witness : The_Light

The Charge Description:
Town : chard
Offender : morderath

Proof : 01-05-2006 08:10 : You have bought from Morderath 1 corn bag for 5,95 pounds.
witness Teagan.

The Charge Description and proof:
Poovin hires RoyFang for 12,00 pounds on 24/04 11:23
Settled Cases, Wiltshire County

The Defendant: Crichaor
The Verdict: Discharged
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant has been discharged.
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of fraud brought upon you, I find you: Not guilty!
Bill Of Indictment
The Town of Barnstaple hereby charges Crichaor with Fraud. Crichaor has been scamming newcomers into his tavern, "the shannon's ashes", with his low prices, only to cheat them out of their money.
He hid his name by making the bartender at this scam of a tavern some of the most reputable people in Barnstaple.
The people of Barnstaple are just getting back on their feet, and to have this type of con-artist take advantage of our citizens is a shame.
We call for immediate closure of this tavern and a fine of no less than 250 pounds.
Proofs can be furnished upon request to either myself or King LongJohnSilver.
Thank you for your time.
Long Live The King!
The Sentence: 6 pounds fine
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of slavery brought upon you, I find you: Guilty as charged!
Due to the circumstances that you are a first time offender, that you didn't know the law and that you are willing to pay for the damage you have done. I will reduce the penalty with "power of one".
I hereby sentence you to a: 6 pound fine and to give a trustpoint to the victim of your crime, LiviuP.
The fact that you did try to hire someone but failed, is not a crime and should not have anything with the verdict to do. With this I'm not saying that you should not add it the "bill of indictment", but that I can't judge him for that.
Allso, I have to say that I usually give the sentence to read the laws of Wiltshire in these cases. But as you claim, you have already done that so it is unnecessary.
Case closed!
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant is dead, therefore I dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
The defendant did hire COk3 for $15 on the 12 of April. This is the third time this defendant has been charged for this same crime. He has continued to ignore messages from the Mayor of Southhampton about the illegal nature of his hiring practices. The Crown asks for the maximum penalty for this crime due to the defendant's recidivism.
As evidence, I present the note from the Southhampton City Hall:
12/04 12:24 : Hugo000 hires C0k3 for 15,00 pounds
The Sentence: A 9 pounds fine
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of slavery brought upon you, I find you: Guilty as charged.
I hereby sentence you to: A 9 pound fine, and to give a trust point to the victim of your crime, Pal!
I have also not got your report of the Wiltshire slavery law, as you should have handed in the last time you were here. I need to get that before I can let you go.
Case closed!
The Sentence: 6 pounds fine
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of fraud/profiteering brought upon you, I find you: Guilty as charged!
Due to the defendant’s willingness to help and that it was an honest mistake from the defendants part. I will reduce the penalty to the half.
I hereby sentence you to a: 6 pound fine and to read the laws of Wiltshire.
As proof that you have read the laws, I want you to send me a pm with the direct quote of the profiteering law.
Case closed!
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
The recent happenings in the town hall of Plymouth is sure strange, and will be on further investigation. But at this moment there are no evidence that Chrissss2 is responsible for these happenings. Therefore I have no other option but to dismiss the case.
Bill Of Indictment:
The Crown contends that the accused used his office as Mayor of Plymouth to benefit himself and other foreign agents. The defendant has cleared the market and the town hall of cash and goods. Since this defendant has used Plymouth as a beachhead for French criminals and invaders, the Crown asks for the maximum penalty that Your Honor can prescribe.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Defender: Banditrds
Charge: Witchcraft
Judge’s Statement:
There is no hard proof that the defendant is a clone, or that he did take part in the rebellion. Therefore I have no other option but to dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
In the aftermath of the clone rebellion in Bridgewater, the defendant, who has only 1 RP, was in retreat. His name also a similarity with the names of others. While we cannot prove he is involved in the revolt, the defendant is undoubtedly a clone and guilty of witchcraft.
Judge’s Statement:
There is no hard proof that the defendant is a clone, or that he did take part in the rebellion. Therefore I have no other option but to dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
In the aftermath of the clone rebellion in Bridgewater, the defendant, who has only 1 RP, was in retreat. His name also a similarity with the names of others. While we cannot prove he is involved in the revolt, the defendant is undoubtedly a clone and guilty of witchcraft.
Judge’s Statement:
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
Judge’s Statement:
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant is dead, so I dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
The defendant is accused of approaching Darius and others in the taverns of Dartmouth and attempting to convince them to join a revolt he was planning. It was reported that Melzar knew more about rebellion, how it works, and how to be shielded, than anyone of Level 0 could know.
The Sentence: The defendant has been sentenced to death penalty.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of traitorousness/Treason brought upon you, I find you: Guilty as charged!
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant is dead and once again there is no hard proof of his guilt. So I have to dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
Since the clone rebellion in Bridgewater, I have been working with officials across all the towns in Wiltshire to spot clones. This one, by his very name, identifies himself as a clone and is undoubtedly up to no good.
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant has ceased to exist, so I have to dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant is dead, and no hard proof of the crime has shown up in court. Therefore I have to dismiss the case.
Case Dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
The defendant in suspected of witchcraft and involvement in the clone rebellion in Bridgewater. His name is one letter different than Velron. Both defendants have zero RP.

PostSubject: Re: The Free England Press (6/5/06)   The Free England Press (6/5/06) EmptyFri 5 May - 18:56

The Defender: Madfighter
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant has ceased to exist, so I have to dismiss the case.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
This case is for profiteering.
Your Honor,
The County of Wiltshire, on behalf of the town of Southampton bring before you a case of profiteering regarding bread.
According to the personal records of ffourone:
"28-03-2006 16:00 : You have bought from Madfighter 2 bread loaves for 12,80 pounds."

This is a clear violation of the laws of Wiltshire County, clearly presented on the forums in Wiltshire Inn, the University, and every Wiltshire Town Hall (Dorchester is no exception):
"Whosoever shall profiteer at the expense of another, sustenance foods (defined as bread and corn), at an inflated price shall be charged with the crime of Profiteering . . .
* Bread shall be sold at
o Recommended selling price: 6-7.50pounds
o High selling price: 7.50-8.75 pounds
o Criminal offence price: 9.50 or higher"

Both the mayor, the_light, and the concerned citizen, ffourone, were witness to this bread on the market, and removed it in order to spare the savings of the town's level 0 population.
Your honor, there is no place in our society for these money-grubbing actions, which seek to put personal gain ahead of the needs of the entire community. The people of Wiltshire cry out for justice!
The Sentence: The defendant has been sentenced to prison penalty 2 days and a 100 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
on the charges of public disorder/robbery brought upon you: I find you guilty as charged!
I hereby sentence you to: 2 days imprisonment and a 100 pound fine.
You have showed no respect for the victim of your crime, the court of Wiltshire or the King of England by not showing up to court. Even less when you chose to flee the country to avoid your penalty. We can not tolerate this kind of behavior and we will keep our eyes open for you in the future.
The Sentence: A 18 pounds fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
I hereby sentence you to: A 18 pound fine, to give trust points to the victims of your crime, Lrrpreborn and Yeager, and to read the laws of Wiltshire.
As a proof of this you will send the direct quote of the slavery law in a pm to me.
You haven't even shown up in court to plead innocent, nor guilty. Therefore I can’t give any other verdict than guilty as charged. You are now also charged for two more cases of slavery. I will judge these as a first time offence too, due to the fact that you were not sentenced for the crime before you committed them. Although the next time I won't be this nice to you.
Case closed!
The Sentence: A 3 pounds fine
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of slavery brought upon you I find you: Guilty as charged!
The law of Wiltshire says:
"The only exception to the minimum wage law is by contract between the laborer and the land owner. Such contract must be agreed upon by both parties, and public notice of the contract must be posted in the town forum before the job is posted."
As your contract was "written" afterwards, it is not valid and I have no other choice but to find you guilty as charged. Although I can and will give you a reduced punishment.
I hereby sentence you to: A 3 pound fine, and to read the laws of Wiltshire. To prove this you have to send me a pm with a direct quote of the slavery law.
I would also have put the TP as a punishment, but that was already taken care of. The Wiltshire laws is to be found here:
http://www.acilion.com/englishforum/viewtopic.php?t=4968
Case closed!
The Sentence: 2 days in prison, and a 100 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
on the charges of public disorder/robbery brought upon you: I find you guilty as charged!
You have showed no respect for the victim of your crime, the court of Wiltshire or the King of England by not showing up to court. Even less when you chose to flee the country to avoid your penalty. We can not tolerate this kind of behavior and we will keep our eyes open for you in the future.
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant is dead, and I have not been presented any evidence in this case. I have no other option than dismissal.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
As stated in Wiltshire's law ;
Bread shall be sold at
Recommended selling price: 6-7.50pounds
High selling price: 7.50-8.75 pounds
Criminal offence price: 9.50 or higher
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant has ceased to exist. Therefore there is no case here.
Case dismissed!
Bill Of Indictment:
The defendant is suspected of witchery and involvement in the clone rebellion there. His name is one letter different than Velrone, and both have no RP.
The Sentence: 8 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of "commission of fraud"/Profiteering brought upon you, I find you: Guilty as charged!
It is every mans/woman’s duty to know the laws of the county. This means that hiding behind your own lack of knowledge is a waist of time. Although I know it was an honest mistake I can't let you slide through this.
I hereby sentence you to: An 8 pound fine, and also you have to read the Laws of Wiltshire. To know that you have done this, I want you to send me a pm with the Direct quote of the Profiteering law. The law is to be found in this place:
http://www.acilion.com/englishforum/viewtopic.php?t=4968
Case closed!
The Sentence: 9 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
I hereby sentence you to: A 9 pound fine, and to give a trust point to the victim of your crime, Cntryguy.
You have not even bothered to come to court to defend yourself. I can't do anything else than find you guilty.
The Sentence: The defendant has been sentenced to prison penalty 3 days and a 150 pounds fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of traitorousness/robbery I find you: Guilty as charged!
I have not been judge much more than a week, and I have already seen you here too many times. I have been warned about you, and I know that you have been warned too. I'm not much for death penalty, but in this case I have seriously thought about it. This WILL be you final warning, next time I find you guilty for robbery, I WILL give you the death sentence.
I hereby sentence you to: 3 days imprisonment, a 150 pound fine, three days of community work in the iron mine west of Dorchester. Additionally you have to make a daily report directly to me, everything you do for a week. This report should contain what you buy, what you sell, where you work and who you hire (if you do so). During this time you are also not allowed to travel.
Case closed!
The Sentence: The sentence has been passed
Judge’s Statement:
The defendant didn't present to the Court.
Bill Of Indictment:
LukeJ, you are alleged to have hired Icemsn543289 for $12 in violation of the minimum wage law of Wiltshire, which provides that workers must be paid a minimum of $16. How do you plead?
The Sentence: 50 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges brought upon you "commission of fraud" I find you: Guilty as charged.
I hereby sentence you to: A 50 pound fine.
I don't find it the defendant’s fault that he has been granted these 50 pounds from the major of the time. The real bandit in this case is Slexuis, but he is not the charged one. This will not give Barnstaple it's money back, but it is not the fault of Dark_Devil, so I can't make him pay more for it.
Case Closed.
The Sentence: A 9 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of slavery brought upon you I find you: Guilty as charged.
I hereby sentence you to: A 9 pound fine, and to give a trustpoint to the victim of your crime, Garion75472.
Once again I will tell you that French is not allowed in England and you may get charged for this too. Allso I have to once again tell you that my French interpreter is very good and I do not tolerate this kind of behavior in my court.
Case closed!
The Sentence: A 49 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of slavery brought upon you I find you: Guilty as charged.
I hereby sentence you to: A 49 pounds fine and also to give a trustpoint to the victim of your crime, Shadowalker.
Since this is a second time offence and you have been warned in the past, I have no option other than give the full fine. The fact that you didn't have money to eat, has very little to do with your crime. You can't buy something you don't have the money for, then you have to wait until you find the money.
Case closed.
The Sentence: The defendant has been sentenced to prison penalty 2 days and a 100 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the charges of traitorousness/robbery I find you: Guilty as charged.
You try to justify your crime saying your victim should know better then to travel the roads unprotected. This has nothing to do with the fact that you did rob him and steal his money and this is a crime in the county of Wiltshire. So now you have to pay for your crime.
Case closed!
The Sentence: A 36 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
For the accusation of slavery I find you: guilty as charged. Due to the circumstances of being an honest mistake I reduce the sentence. I hereby sentence you to: A 36 pound fine, and to give a trust point to the victim of the crime, Train.
If I were you I would think closely the next time I hire someone. The fine for this crime unreduced, is at 216 pounds.
Case closed!
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
I find the defendant: Not guilty
I can't find a case here, so therefore the charge is dismissed.
Case closed!
Bill Of Indictment:
conspiracy, preparation of a revolt
The Sentence: A 24 pound fine.
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the accusation of fraud/profiteering I hereby sentence you to: A 24 pounds fine.
The official language in England is English. The fact that you obviously don't know how to speak English is not the point here. I can't read French but still I took the time to contact my interpreter to fully understand your situation. I would advice you to do the same with the English laws, because I can't let this slide through because of your lack of English.
Case closed!
Judge’s Statement:
May the defendant rise!
On the accusation of slavery, I find you guilty as charged. Due to the circumstances of being a first time offence and an honest mistake by the defendant I will reduce the sentence. I hereby sentence you to: Give a trust point to the victim of the crime HoRuZ and read the laws of Wiltshire. You may find them here: http://www.acilion.com/englishforum/viewtopic.php?t=4968
Case closed!
Bill Of Indictment:
Your Honor,
The County of Wiltshire, on behalf of the colony of Marlborough and the victimized HoRuZ bring before you a case of slavery.
According to the town records of Marlborough, available for public review at the town hall:
"29/03 08:43 : Mamouna hires HoRuZ for 12,00 pounds"
This is a clear violation of the laws of Wiltshire County, clearly presented on the forums in Wiltshire Inn, the University, and every Wiltshire Town Hall (Marlborough is no exception):
"Any abuser who will dare to hire a poor innocent at an obscene wage, shall respond for Slavery in front of the county judge. If found guilty he/she will be sentenced according to rules stated below. Wiltshire minimum wage has been fixed at 16 pounds by the Wiltshire Council."
Your honor, there is no place in our society for this abuse and exploitation of the worker. The people of this county cry out for justice.

Pending Cases, Sussex County

Ralphpinoyako is charged with commission of fraud.

The Charge Description:
Ralphpinoyako is charged with Fraud, for breaching the Profiteering law in the town of Canterbury - Sussex.
The defendant has bought a loaf of bread from the town hall, and then resold it on the player's market for 10.95 pounds, which constitutes a criminal offense by the laws of Sussex.

21-04-2006 06:10 : You have bought from Ralphpinoyako 1 bread loaf for 10.95 pounds.

by Elve

Thank you for reading!

As always, The Free Press is looking for new and talented writers. If you think you have what it takes to be part of the Free Press, contact Whit.
Back to top Go down

The Free England Press (6/5/06)
Page 1 of 1